Wednesday 3 September 2008

The Ring of Joy, or should i say stud!


A change was desired… It was a very adamant desire that refused to listen to logic or reason. The change was wanted and I had to get it. ‘Act on Impulse’ was the message transmitted across various neurons in my brain and that was exactly what I did, I acted on the impulse.

A trip to the beautician for a gunshot! A gunshot that would probably disfigure my nose forever. But who cared! I wanted to pierce my nose and I wanted to do it because of the very reason that I am needle phobic. Extremely. To acknowledge my new job, I got my ears pierced with a two week gap between each ear because I didn’t have the strength to go through with both ears at once. So one ear happened before I joined work and the other two weeks later. This is probably why I have chosen to wear a ring in one year and a stud in the other. Oh by the way I already had earrings but I wanted the next level also to be pierced.

Coming to my nose stud! I went to Aunty with Pallavi and I sat all prim and pert in the chair as stiff as the stiffest I could ever be. Ready for the needle to pierce through layers of my skin. It was a moment stuck in space and the thunderclap of the gun at work was resounding. The pain was very endurable. I walked out confidently with aunty telling me I’m a strong girl for not having felt queasy or weak.

As I walked I didn’t realize that the big blue stud not only looked funny but also was sticking out and the back stopper thingy had fallen off. I got back to the office and got a few extremely smart ass comments about my nose. Pavi lost her mind and yelled at me for having ruined my cute little nose and went ballistic about it. She just refused to believe that it could be remotely nice.

I could not stop laughing and I realized that there was something wrong. The stud was not entirely in place, the back stopper thing had fallen off and it had not even pierced through all the layers of skin so it was a disaster. I took off the stud and went to her again and she said a jeweler would do a better job coz all he had to do was just pierce it through entirely.

I was waiting for the one jeweler in the whole locality who would do the job and do it well, but his store was locked up and I was getting late for a movie so I left. Since it is not in my nature to give up easily, I turned up again after the film and he was open.

I left Pallavi in the car and walked in and sat down to the ordeal I had chosen to put myself through. He lifted this large fat iron needle with a hook and asked me not to look. I wanted it on my right as against the left convention so he marked another spot coz the previous one was not placed properly and I picked out a diamond stud for the cause. I shuddered at the thought of that big a needle being forced into my nose, and by the time I could say a word, it was in through the layers and I felt like these people with rods through the skin, the ones that have prayed for something and do this for God. It really was a fat rod. He screwed in the stud in place and I was done! I was in super pain. It hurt like crazy and my whole right side was numb with pain. I went back and Pallavi really liked it.

Later, some people didn’t even notice it and it took a while for my mom to see it. The final verdict from Ma was that I look like an adiwasi and I look five years older than I actually am. Granny was aghast. And I like it!
The pain was well worth it and its paining still, but I love it and now I know I can muster enough courage to actually sit thru it and now I don’t fear fat needles at least when they are puncturing my skin. So now, I ended up with a swollen nose and pain on my right side and a hurting right hand thanks to the rude doctor who said that my constant chatter irritated him and poked me hard with the Tetanus shot, I still think it was well worth all the trouble, even ma and granny yelling at me was worth it! So thanks to it all, I am a better human being, my endurance levels are higher and I am prettier! Lol! So check me out with my nose pin!

I guess that is what matters ultimately, that I like it! And now I am not alone anymore, my diamond laughs and flashes at me from my nose and I feel the flashes smile with me! So until next time, I’ll flash a laugh! ;)

No comments: